Friday, November 3, 2006

Chaing Mai

Troy got a three-day weekend off and we decided we should probably see more of Thailand. So we hopped on a plane and flew to Chiang Mai. We picked that area because it's suppose to be more of authentic Thailand unlike the more tourist area are we are in now. We got there in the afternoon. And after a long flight...ok not long-1 hr, we decided we needed a massage. I love that about Thailand there is a massage parlor about every 3 blocks. So we started our trip of with an $8 Thai massage. If you have never had a Thai massage before I would highly recommend it. They sound scary when you read about them but it very relaxing. The do more of a pressure point massage with intense stretching with it. My legs have never felt to great in my life. It's also like a chiropractor the stretch you so well that many times you can hear my back crack-but in a nice way.

After we got our massage we found a street vendor for dinner. Here in Thailand there are carts that have grills on them and you pick what you would like to eat and they cook it up fresh for you. Its very trusting that the meat you are eating is actually what they say it is. So far it all tasted right. They also have carts with fresh fruits and my favorite cart is yellow corn on the cob! It tastes like mid-west corn and they cook it just like at the state fair! You can be stuffed for the price of $1. (30-40 Baht). We have never gotten sick from eating like this and that's how everyone eats here.

After supper was over we went to the famous Night Bazaar. This is about a mile by a mile of little stores/street carts/shop to shop in. Bargaining is key here. You can walk away feeling guilty for the little amount of money you just paid for something. Several times I knew I could pay less but I felt bad. I would give examples but we bought a lot of gifts so I don't want to ruin any surprise. The foot massages are even cheaper here. It normal costs $6/hr for a massage (foot/Thai/oil). But at the Bazaar you could find them for about $2,,,$2 for an hour massage!!!!!!!!! Again you almost feel guilty. Well not me I have nice soft feet. Troy with his icky boy feet I felt more bad for the girl who massaged his!

After an long evening of shopping and bargaining (and weirdly enough it was tiring) we headed back to the hotel. Since we left our car in Pattaya we had to go with the public transportation. So we got introduced to tuk-tuks. This thing is like a golf cart with three wheels. Its about $1-2 for a ride. But we still also had our Baht bus (Baht is the Thailand curancy 36 Baht=$1) Not a lot of pictures on this day just a lot of shopping.

No comments: