Monday, January 17, 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

My entire life I was always so impressed by people who made their own noodles. I thought for sure this was a couple day process! LOL Also my mom makes a pretty good chicken noodle soup, so I thought I would try doing both.
I followed this recipe for the noodles. I found making noodles was way easier than I thought. Ok my arms hurt a touch but that could be because of my t-rex stature. The only thing I wondered about was when to tell your dough is smooth.... I did some searching and found pics and went by those. Turns out about 7 min of kneading got me the smooth dough I needed. I was unable to find a rolling pin so instead I cleaned off a red wine bottle, because everyone has one of those at home. :) It worked really well actually. I also had no pizza cutter and so I had to use a knife to cut the noodles with....the knife isn't very sharp and so this took longer than I'm sure it takes most people. But the final results were great!

For the soup I asked my mom what she did, and her response was:
1. Boil a whole chicken in a pot for 45 min.
2. Pull out chicken and shreed the meat off of it.
3. Fill up pot with water and add a CAN OF BOUILLON (yeah I'm not kidding, I felt my heart throb when she said that!)
4. Bring it to a boil and then add a bag of egg noodles.
5. Once noodles are done add chicken.
Done.

Well since Troy had highblood pressure and the idea of enough sodium to kill a horse didn't sound that appealing to me I changed it up a little. This may be the first time I didn't follow a recipe and kind of winged it!
 Here is what I ended up doing:
1. Got a big pot and threw in a whole chicken with water and brought it to a boil. I boiled it till the juice was no longer pink. Took about an hour.
2. During that hour I made the noodles using the above recipe I linked.
3. Cut up 2 carrots and 1 medium yellow onion.
4. Pulled the chicken out of the pot and filled up the pot with more water to make it 3/4 full. And added 6 chicken bouillon cubes.
5. Shredded the chicken and added it to the pot while waiting for the water to boil again.
6. Once boiling I threw in the homemade noodles and let them cook.

It was even better than mom's! (sorry mom). 

**Things I would do different next time...

I would add a couple more carrots and I would skimmed the fat off the top of the water once taking out the chicken.
Edited to add: this makes about 12 bowls of soup.

1 comment:

Super Bren said...

Sounds Fab!! I will have to try it!