Monday, February 7, 2011

Old Fashion Pancakes

Perfect Pancakes
 I need to start this by stating I have never once tried making pancakes....even from the box!

I was in the kitchen and followed this recipe to a tee:


  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 egg
  • WAY to thick batter.
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

 
 1st and 2nd tries---way gooey in middle.

Then I got my frying pan ready and started making them.....well I oiled the pan with canola oil (mistake!). So my first pancake was black, left the oil off for the following. Then my next pancake got burnt on the outsides but was still gooey in the middle...so I thought my temp was to high. I decreased the temp and again...burnt outside gooey inside. Hmmmmm, I knew I was suppose to wait for bubbles to form and edges to turn light brown then flip, I studied up online before trying these! Then troy walked into the kitchen (and pretty much saved the pancakes). Turns out my batter was VERY thick and that was the issue. So I poured some milk in until Troy ok'd it for being the proper constancy. Then Troy demonstrated how to cook one for me. Ahhhhh, NOW I get the bubbles thing. Apparently overly thick batter doesn't bubble. If you haven't ever tried this before you flip the pancake when the top looks like the back of my thighs
Time to flipping!
(slightly bumpy and crater like, so imagine some cottage cheese :D ).
Once I figured it out I was a pancake making fool and they turned out
great......golden brown cooked through! Once done eating and after a long talk with Troy, and thanks to facebook friends, I realized that *I* eat mine weird. I like peanut butter and maple syrup on my pancakes, Troy is a butter and syrup guy......turns out so is London. But Troy did agree that this was the best recipe and best tasting pancakes he had ever had....so at least I got that! :) 

No comments: