Sunday, February 13, 2011

What is a VPN and how to get it

What is a VPN?
Per Wikipedia a VPN is-
"A virtual private network (VPN) is a computer network that uses a public telecommunication infrastructure such as the Internet to provide remote offices or individual users with secure access to their organization's network. It aims to avoid an expensive system of owned or leased lines that can be used by only one organization.
It encapsulates data transfers using a secure cryptographic method between two or more networked devices which are not on the same private network so as to keep the transferred data private from other devices on one or more intervening local or wide area networks. There are many different classifications, implementations, and uses for VPNs."

In other words-----a VPN make the internet think your computer is really located in the "host" country.....in my case I have it located in the USA.

Why do you need a VPN?
Well if you travel/live overseas you have noticed when you get online that many of the USA sites block other countries from viewing. Or in China and some other countries who monitor and block what their citizen's can view it gets you around that also. So when I log into my VPN it allows me to view ABC/Fox/Hulu/etc so I can watch all my American tv without having download it. It also lets me use my Pandora and my Swagbucks! (more to come on those sites later). Plus if you want to hide yourself while looking at other's blogs it will tag you in the VPN's city not the one your in.... now I sound all stalker like don't I? :D

What do you use?
I have been using VPNod.com for my VPN for many months now. I simply sent them an email (from the one you want linked-and I have never gotten spam from them once) to: promotions at vpnod dot com and in the subject line entered VPNod. I got my password info in a matter of minutes. To learn how to set it up follow these very simple directions that even come with pictures (yes its dummy proof!)
MacOsX
Windows
And there are some other operating systems it also works for but I'm not linking them all- just go here- http://www.vpnod.com/

What don't you like about it?
The only thing so far that I don't like about it is that sometimes it take about 2-3 sign in attempts to get on to the VPN. But thats well worth it to watch Grey's Anatomy and get my swagbucks! :)

Is it legal?
The use of VPN is legal in all countries EXCEPT: Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria.....but its not like I was planning on visiting those warm/fuzzy feeling locations any time soon.

No comments: